Translate This Page
STRUCTURE OF THE NIKITА BOTANICAL GARDENS – NATIONAL SCIENTIFIC CENTER
Director of Federal State-Funded Institution of Science "The Labor Red Banner Order Nikita Botanical Gardens – National Scientific Center of Russian Academy of Sciences", Corresponding Member of RAS Yuri V. Plugatar, Doctor of Agricultural Sciences controls the work of scientific research departments in the following directions:
Department of Dendrology, Floriculture and Landscape Architecture
Head of the Department Yuri V. Plugatar, Doctor of Agricultural Sciences, Corresponding Member of RAS.
Laboratory of Dendrology
Head of the Laboratory Professor V. P. Koba, Doctor of Biological Sciences.
Research directions: an ornamental woody-bushy plant introduction research.
Study of an introductive woody – bushy plant species form diversity and ornamental signs.
Study of woody – bushy plant species development rhythms and adaptive characteristics for the Southern Coast of the Crimea introduction.
Laboratory of Floriculture
Head of the Laboratory Irina V. Ulanovskaya, Ph.D.
Research directions: a theoretical principles’ and breeding and introduction methods’ groundwork for ornamental flowers (Rosa L., Chrysanthemum х hortorum Bailey, Tulipa L., Hemerocallis х hybrida hort., Canna х hibrida hort., Iris hybrida hort., Clematis L., Syringa L.), the effective system groundwork and test of ornamental flowers’ complex estimation. Study of ornamental flowers’ ecological and biological peculiarities.
Laboratory of Phytomonitoring
Head of the Laboratory Oleg A. Ilnitsky, Doctor of Biological Sciences.
Research directions: a constant monitoring organization of climatic conditions and plant vital activity proceeding reaction peculiarities with use of a modern equipment.
Laboratory of Landscape Architecture
Head of the Laboratory Igor I. Golovnyov.
The laboratory research workers conduct research and practical measures into the system of a woody – bushy plants’ use improvement for a landscape ecological structure optimization of the park associations in the Sothern Coast of the Crimea.
Department of Technical Cultures and Bioactive Substances
Head of the Department Alexander M. Yarosh, Doctor of Medical Sciences.
Laboratory of Human Phytorehabilitation
Head of the Laboratory Farkhad M. Melikov, PhD.
The laboratory does research in two main directions (the third one is in store):
1. Aromatic therapy
- Study of a plant (which grow and are cultivated in Russia, in the Crimea especially) ether oil influence on a human psychological - emotional state and its correction possibilities by the use of natural ether oils and their compositions.
The research takes place in Simferopol and Yalta social service centers, other Crimean institutions. The contract on a scientific cooperation with Crimean Medical Academy n. a. S. A. Georgievsky has been concluded.
- groundwork of tea recipes, bioactive additives, cosmetics and prophylactics from a Russian plant raw material and from a Crimean one especially.
- searching for new promising plants which are the sources of ether oils and other bioactive substances, introduction and culture of these plants (in collaboration with Laboratory of Aromatic Plants and Herbs).
- research and development of a normative technical documentation (NTD) for a raw material, teas, food and bioactive additives, cosmetics and prophylactics. The contract on a scientific cooperation with Federal State-Funded Educational Institution of Higher Professional Education Volgograd Medical University and its Pyatigorsk branch has been concluded.
3. Production (prospects)
- groundwork of the proposals for a small-serial plant production and a prophylactic one.
- establishing of a small-serial production of plant foods.
Laboratory of Aromatic Plants and Herbs
Head of the Laboratory Oxana M. Shevchuk, Doctor of Biological Sciences.
The laboratory researches introduction and breeding of aromatic plants and herbs, develops agrological recommendations to grow them in the Southern Coast of the Crimea and in the South of Russia. The development peculiarities, morphological parameters, the main economical indices (yield, a mass share of an ether oil) and an ether oil component composition of oily an aromatic plants are; as well as the development peculiarities, maintenance and the spectrum of bioactive substances in the herb plant raw materials.
Laboratory of Biochemistry
Head of the laboratory Anfisa E. Paliy, PhD.
1. screening of cultural and aboriginal wild plant species on the bioactive substances, analysis of cell bioactive substance producing cultures, study of herb spicy aromatic and fruit cultures’ bioactive substances, discovery of perspective plant species with increased bioactive substances’ contents, estimation of bioactive substances’ prospects for use in food and cosmetics industries and for production of medicines and plant protection biological means;
2. elaboration of recommendations for use of plant components for a human useful produce creation;
3. definition of biochemical parameters for a plant stability to unfavorable environment conditions, which let substantiate the main principles of a plant adaptation to a stress factors’ effect;
4. use of biochemical markers for economically valuable plants’ research in different cultivation conditions (in vitro, in situ и ex situ) and allocation of species and kinds which have the greatest adaptation ability to the changeable environment.
Department of a Plant Developmental Biology, Biotechnology and Biosafety
Head of the Department Irina V. Mitrofanova, Doctor of Biological Sciences.
Laboratory of Plant Biotechnology and Virology
Head of the Laboratory Irina V. Mitrofanova, Doctor of Biological Sciences.
1. a. biological study of cultivated cells and tissues, growth peculiarities and differentiation in vitro of subtropical and stone fruit cultures, ornamental, essential-oil plants and herbs;
2. studies morphogenesis in vitro: somatic embryogenesis and organogenesis of subtropical, fruit, ornamental plants and herbs; creation of artificial seeds;
3. numbers restitution of relict endemics, rare and disappearing wild species with help of being developed systems of a plant regeneration in the conditions of in vitro;
4. acceleration of an introduction process by micropropagation in vitro new species and cultivars, presented as a single copy, and difficult propagated by traditional way;
5. creation and support of a gene bank in vitro as slowly growing collections and conservation of a valuable gene pool of subtropical and stone fruits, ornamental, essential-oil plants, herbs, relict endemics and other plants;
6. creation of a wild species, cultivated plants’ cultivars and forms cryobank;
7. breeding in vitro and development of plant recipient systems in vitro;
8. creation of breeding forms, which are stable to abiotic and biotic factors, obtaining horticulture genetic diversity with the use of the biotechnological methods (embryoculture, haploidy, somatic embryogenesis, induced mutagenesis and a plant bioengineering);
9. creation of a virus free planting system, which is based on:
а) monitoring of virus and bacterial phytopathogens in agrocenosis, their complex diagnostics, identification, registration and elaboration of the measures to prevent and to limit disease spreading;
b) development of new highly effective cleaning up methods and modern express methods of a mass virus diagnostics;
c) development of a non-traditional breeding strategy on disease resistant and getting of virus resistant subtropical and stone fruit forms, ornamentals, flowers and herbs by using bioengineering and genetic methods.
10. the molecular and genetic research of plant species is being planned, as well as registration of the Nikita Botanical Gardens plant collections.
Sector of Plant Bioengineering
Head of the Sector Sergey V. Dolgov, Doctor of Biological Sciences.
The main direction is to create new forms with stability to abiotic and biotic factors and get a genetic diversity of garden cultures using bioengineering methods.
Laboratory of Plant Reproductive Biology and Physiology
Head of the Laboratory Professor Svetlana V. Shevchenko, Doctor of Biological Sciences.
For the purpose of solving the problem to preserve and increase a biological diversity the laboratory does the research:
1. studies biology of rare and disappearing Crimean flora species development, reproducing and propagation;
2. discoveries the peculiarities of formation the systems of rare and disappearing Crimean flora species development, reproducing and propagation and develops the ways to optimize their natural reproducing; repatriates the obtaining plants.
3. develops the ways to optimize and preserve a biological diversity of rare and disappearing Crimean flora species.
5. studies the peculiarities of physiological and morphometric parameters of the Southern fruit and ornamental plants in connection with necessity to discover the protective properties of low temperature stability and find out the species, which are promising for a horticulture development in the Southern regions of the Russian Federation.
6. appreciates a true value of draught - and frost-resistant species on the level of initial mother plants, as well as on the level of cell cultures; identification of the main mechanisms and markers of resistance to abiotic and biotic factors.
Laboratory of Entomology and Plant Pathology
Head of the Laboratory Elena B. Balykina, Doctor of Agricultural Sciences.
Groundwork of a theoretical basis of a stable development and an epidemic security garden and fruit plants’ guarantee by way of a pest number and pathogenic damage regulation in the long-term agrarian cenoses.
1. scrutiny of pest complex and pathogenic damage consistent patterns in the long-term agrarian cenoses.
2. elaboration of ruling methods in the long-term agrarian cenoses.
3. creation of a plant sanitary monitoring system in the Crimean parks and orchards.
Laboratory of Agroecology
Head of the Laboratory Olga E. Klimenko, Doctor of Biological Sciences.
The main task is to develop soil – climatic conditions’ estimation ways for the purpose of a potential area definition for arboriculture and floriculture and definition of optimum zones for fruit, subtropical, nut, ether oil plants’, herbs’ arrangement.
- Estimation of area soil – climatic resources for a long-term fruit and ornamental cultures’ effective placing.
- Research and development of a soil improvement technology of skeleton, sandy, salty, salt-marsh, carbonaceous soils for gardening.
- Research and development of a remediation technology for sulfide rock heaps for the purpose of their greening and agricultural use.
- Study of the Mountainous Crimea soils.
- Study of a soil property influence on macro - and microelements’ contents in subtropical fruit, herb and ether oil cultures.
- Estimation of a farm soil fruitfulness for fruit cultures, vineyards and ornamental woody – bushy plants.
Department of Conservancy, Native Sanctuary Cape Martyan
Laboratory of Flora and Vegetation
Head of the Laboratory Professor Vladislav V. Korzshenevsky, Doctor of Biological Sciences.
Complex research to estimate a modern state and a dynamic development of the native and transformed landscape territories and areas of water for a proposals’ substantiation to conserve and remediate the Crimean biological diversity as well as the one inside the neighboring territories. Clarifying of the factors and consistent patterns of a populations’ and cenoses’ dynamic development.
Compilation and addition of the biota lists, a materials’ preparation according to the program of the foliage and animality regional State cadaster.
Study of rare species and the structure of their populations; argumentation of a biota representatives’ including in Federal and regional Red Books.
A scientific basis groundwork of rare and vanishing species’ monitoring, conservation and remediation.
A recommendations’ groundwork to form a OOPT representational network.
Classification and maping of a vegetative cover.
Study of allogenic species.
Department of Fruit Cultures
Head of the Department Anatoly V. Smykov, Doctor of Agricultural Sciences.
Laboratory of Southern Fruit Cultures
Head of the Laboratory Valentina M. Gorina, Doctor of Agricultural Sciences.
Laboratory of Subtropical Fruit and Nut Cultures
Head of the Laboratory Sergey Yu. Khokhlov, PhD.
1. Introduction of fruit cultures’ forms and species from different native regions and a collectable genetic fund study for the purpose of valuable economy signs’ source allocation;
2. Breeding of new stone, seed, nut, subtropical fruit cultures for an intensive gardening;
3. Improvement of the extant technologies and creation of new ecologic safe ones to grow high quality seed and stone cultures;
4. creation of the new technologies to grow a high quality planting material;
5. Improvement of the long-term fruit storage technology;
6. A project groundwork of a modern highly intensive long-term planting.
Branch “Gardening Experimental Station”
Head of the Branch Alexander I. Sotnik, PhD.
- study of the fruit and nut cultures’ collection funds;
- creation of new fruit and berry species and study of the introductive home ones;
- improvement of the extant technologies and creation of new ecologic safe ones to grow high quality seed and stone cultures;
- creation of the new technologies to grow a high quality planting material;
- improvement of the long-term fruit storage technology;
- A project groundwork of a modern highly intensive long-term planting.